High cholesterol is a risk factor for stroke and CVD. By identifying undiagnosed patients and referring them to the GP for treatment you could help them to reduce their risk of stroke and heart attack.
The UK has one of the highest average cholesterol levels
1 in 6 people in the UK have high cholesterol
High cholesterol has been attributed to causing heart disease in 39% of men and 34% of women
Performing the screening gives you chance to offer advice and support in these areas as well as signposting to other services you provide.
As a pharmacist you are ideally placed to help patients who would not visit a GP and may go undetected.
Cholesterol testing service
We can provide everything you need to implement this service:
Why offer this service?
- Create an additional revenue stream.
- Build customer loyalty.
- Compete with other local and multiple pharmacy chains for provision of services.
- Cross-sell cholesterol testing with other services - blood pressure testing, diabetes screening, smoking cessation and medicine use reviews.
- Builds your relationship with other healthcare professionals.
Cholesterol Testing Toolkit
- Training Manual
- Staff Guide
- ‘Heart Disease: are you at risk?’ patient leaflets x 50
- Standard Operating Procedure – finger prick test
- Audit report pad
- Cholesterol testing results pad x 50
Point of Sale:
- Bag stuffers x 100
- A2 Pharmacy Posters x 2
- A3 GP Posters x 2
Advice for Life Leaflets (Cholesterol) x 20 of each title
- Healthy weight and diet
- Blood pressure
Appointment reminder cards x 50
How to order
Available to download:
The toolkit does not contain a cholesterol testing monitor. Numark recommend the use of a Cardiochek PA meter and consumables which are available to purchase from BHR Pharmaceuticals to take advantage of preferential member rates.
How do I start?
1. Order a Cholesterol Testing Toolkit, this will provide you with everything you need to deliver the service including, promotional materials, SOP, audit tools, staff training, point of sale and referral guidelines.
2. Order a BHR CardioChek PA Blood Analyser machine using the Enhanced Discounts deal.
3. Display promotional materials such as posters and leaflets to create awareness.
3. Contact your local GPs:
Tell them you intend to start a cholesterol testing service.
Agree thresholds and a pathway for patient referral.
4. Encourage your counter staff to talk to customers and recommend your new service.
5. Consider customers who are most at risk:
Suffer from diabetes
Have high blood pressure
Family history of heart disease
6. Record patient outcomes. These can be used as evidence with PCTs, CCGs or PCOs.