The legal requirement to wear face coverings in England will be removed from 19th July 2021 and the wearing of face coverings will be optional.
However NHSE&I have highlighted that the current Infection and Prevention Control (IPC) guidance remains in place in healthcare settings including pharmacies. The IPC guidance for community pharmacies is:
- Facemasks/coverings should be used by patients (if tolerated) and visitors when entering a care setting, which would include community pharmacies; and
- Areas where triaging for COVID-19 is not possible for example, community pharmacies:
- Signage at entry points advising of the necessary precautions
- Staff should maintain 2 metres physical distance with customers/service users, using floor markings, clear screens or wear surgical face masks (Type IIR) where this is not possible
- Patients/individuals with symptoms should be advised not to enter the premises
PHE and NHS England have produced a poster that can be used by pharmacies to tell customers they still need to wear face coverings within the pharmacy from July 19th.
To help support our members, Numark has designed a face covering poster that can be displayed in shop windows or on doors to request that members of the public entering the shop should wear a face covering.
Download and print the Numark face covering poster to display in the windows in your pharmacy:
For further guidance and support on face coverings in pharmacy see: