24 June 2020
Following implementation of The Misuse of Drugs (Amendment) (England, Wales and Scotland) Regulations 2020, Epidyolex has been placed in Schedule 5 to the Misuse of Drugs Regulations 2001 (‘the 2001 Regulations’), with the effect that it is excepted from the prohibition on importation, exportation and possession under the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 (‘the 1971 Act’).
The medicine was previously in Schedule 2, the new classification will mean it is exempted from the more stringent controlled drugs requirements. Some of the key changes that will effect pharmacies:
- No controlled drugs prescription requirements
- A prescription validity of 6 months (as opposed to 28 days)
- Address of the prescriber can be outside UK
- Emergency supple can be made
- No requirement for patients to sign the controlled drug section on the back of the prescription