Q. I have received a prescription for ‘Voke 20 doses’ the computer is stating it is a special container, what is this? will I receive reimbursement?
A. Yes you will get paid for this prescription.‘Voke’ is licensed as a GSL (general sales list medicine) by the department of health and social care and listed on the Dmd+d as ‘nicotine 450micrograms/dose inhaler’. It is designed to look and feel similar to a cigarette. The product is also listed in the England, Wales, and Northern Ireland Tariffs.
There are a few points that you must counsel your patient on when giving the prescription out:
Voke is 0.45mg inhaler containing nicotine delivering 6-8 puffs
- Press the side of the box to remove the inhaler
- Hold the box upright and insert firmly to the port on the base
- Hold for 5 seconds and release (This might remind smokers of how they used to refill their lighters)
- The inhaler should now be filled
- Inhale as you would do with a normal cigarette (there will be no heat, smoke or smell)
- Refill when empty
Each week we will be highlighting a popular question or issue addressed by our information services team to help keep other members discussing you informed about the hot topics.
If you have any questions about the Drug Tariff - send Sue a message or call Information Services on 0800 783 5709