Q. When can I claim for broken bulk?

Broken Bulk (BB) is a term that is applied to a prescription endorsement that entitles the pharmacy to reimbursement for the whole pack of a product when they have only dispensed part of the pack.

Subsequent prescriptions for the same product will not be reimbursed until the whole pack has been used.

You should only claim broken bulk where it is unlikely that you are going to be able to dispense the remainder of the pack within the following six months of the dispensed item.

For claims to be accepted the prescription must be fulfilled from a whole pack or combination of packs so that residual balance is minimized as much as possible

Broken bulk can only be claimed for certain items:

Drug Tariff areas where you CAN claim

Drug Tariff areas where you CANNOT claim

Part IXB

Special containers

Part IXC

Part IXA

Part VIIID (except special containers)


Part VIIIA Category C

Part IXR

Part VIIIA Category A and M products with smallest listed pack size of £50 or over

Part VIIIA Cat A & M products with smallest pack size of less than £50

Readily available medicinal products outside of Part VIIIA

All Unlicensed Specials and Imports (Except unlicensed extemp dispensed for claiming for ingredients) 

Ingredients used to prepare an unlicensed special (extemporaneous dispensing)

Contractors claiming BB should endorse the prescription with BB and the quantity supplied over the pack size.

The prescription should then be separated and submitted using a red separator.

This Tariff Tip applies to England and Wales only.

Need help?

Each week we will be highlighting a popular question or issue addressed by our information services team to help keep you informed about the hot topics being discussed by other members.

If you have any questions about the Drug Tariff - send Sue a message or call Information Services on 0800 783 5709*