Q. An 18 year old has presented a prescription for dispensing, they have finished school and are not starting University until October, should they pay a prescription charge? 

A. Children 16, 17 and 18 in full time education are entitled to free prescriptions. 

If they have left one type of education, such as college, but plan on continuing in full time education somewhere else, such as university, they will be entitled to free NHS prescriptions during the break as long as they have a letter offering a place for the following term. 

Pharmacy teams should ask to see the university placement letter as evidence of being in full-time education and exempt from prescription charges. 

Once a student turns 19 they are no longer automatically entitled to free prescriptions and should apply for help with healthcare costs by completing form HC1. 

For further information regarding help with health costs please refer to the NHSBSA Help with Health Costs webpage

NHS BSA Help with Health Costs

Need help?

Each week we will be highlighting a popular question or issue addressed by our information services team to help keep you informed about the hot topics being discussed by other members.

If you have any questions about the Drug Tariff - send Sue a message or call Information Services on 0800 783 5709*