Q: I have received a request from a paramedic for Diazepam 10mg/2ml ampoules and morphine sulphate ampoules, is this legal for me to supply?

A: Yes. Paramedics are permitted to obtain and administer certain controlled drugs in the course of their practice.

The Misuse of Drugs Regulations 2015 introduced a requirement for paramedics to issue a written requisition in order to obtain controlled drugs. This must be on the standardised form:

CountryFormObtained from
England FP10CDF Local Commissioning Support Unit (Local Area Team where CSU is unavailable) 
Wales WP10CDF Local NHS health board
Scotland   CDRF - private supplies Local NHS health board  
GP10A - NHS supplies

Supplies cannot be made against faxed or photocopied requisition forms. Legally, controlled drug requisitions must contain the following details:

  • Signature of the recipient.
  • Name of the recipient.
  • Address of the recipient.
  • Profession or occupation.
  • Total quantity of drug.
  • Purpose of the requisition.

Some ambiguity still remains with the supply of CDs to paramedics; there is a discrepancy between the list of drugs paramedics are authorised to administer under a Medicines Act exemption and those that are clinically recommended for use in practice.

The exemption to the Medicines Act for paramedics lists a range of POMs that can be administered in the course of their practice, and hence can be requisitioned.

The only controlled drugs listed are diazepam 5mg/ml emulsion for injection (schedule 4) and morphine sulphate solution for injection (schedule 2).

Visit the MHRA website for full list of items on the paramedics prescribing list.

We advise that requests from paramedics for all controlled drugs other than morphine and diazepam 5mg/ml emulsion be referred back to their employer.

Need help?

Each week we will be highlighting a popular question or issue addressed by our information services team to help keep you informed about the hot topics being discussed by other members.

If you have any questions about the Drug Tariff - send Sue a message or call Information Services on 0800 783 5709 *