Smoking is the single most preventable cause of disease and death in the UK with more than 120,000 people dying each year as a direct result of smoking.
- 21% of the UK population smoke
- 66% of smokers want to quit and half of these are ready to quit
Smoking cessation pilot schemes have shown that when a patient is offered support quit rates rise to around 20% on average, compared to around 2-3% success rate without support.
Community pharmacists are ideally placed to support patients with a smoking cessation service and provide nicotine replacement therapy (NRT).
What resources are available?
- Stop smoking clinic leaflets
- Downloadable smoking cessation SOP
Why offer this service?
- Improve sales of OTC smoking cessation products
- Increase adherence to prescription smoking cessation medication
- Build customer loyalty
- Create an additional revenue stream
- Cross-sell with other services - blood pressure testing, cholesterol testing and medicine use reviews
How do I start?
1. Check the PSNC Services Database - your PCT may commission your smoking cessation service.
2. Talk to your local GPs:
Tell them you are going to start a smoking cessation service.
Remember, they can refer patients to your service.
3. Order promotional leaflets via online ordering with Tollputt Keeton.
4. Encourage your counter staff to talk to customers and recommend the service.
5. The local marketing fund can help with advertising costs.